We offer one of the most experienced teams of international transactional attorneys in Russia. We are dedicated to offering personal attention to our clients in today’s difficult business climate. Our clients need legal advice and guidance on a faster and tighter budget than ever before. Our response is to offer top-notch, big firm experience without the hassle of the big firm paperwork. Our small firm platform allows us to quickly respond to clients’ needs while guaranteeing a high level of service.
Because of our Russian-American background, we are able to bridge the gap that often happens between clients and their counter-parties in cross-border transactions. We strive to act in the best interest of our clients’ strategic business needs each and every day, as their advocate in all aspects of the transaction.
- Cross-border / Energy / M&A
Advising Schlumberger, the world’s biggest oilfield services company on its acquisition of a 24% stake in Kliver, a Russian manufacturer of spare parts and drilling rigs. In addition to assisting the client in drafting the transaction agreements, negotiating with the seller and advising generally on English and Russian law, the notable aspect of the deal was to structure it in a way that was compliant with the US and EU sanctions regime, in light of Kliver’s business.
- Cross-border / Blockchain / ICO
Reflecting our name as the top Russian law firm in the digital currency space, we advised on the launch of the world’s first blockchain-based tokenized cryptocurrency index fund, CRYPTO20, and its ICO. Our advice covered international legal, tax, and government compliance matters, securities regulation, the legal token purchase agreement, white paper review, and corporate legal matters.
- Cross-border / Oil services / Antitrust and merger control
Advising the large oilfield services company, Baker Hughes, on the Russian merger and antitrust aspects of its massive US$32 billion merger with GE to create an industry giant spanning oilfield services, equipment manufacturing, and technology.
- Russia / Logistics / Private equity
Assisting Marsfield Capital, a Russian US$1 billion private equity fund, on the establishment of a joint venture to build and manage Port Vera, a 20 million ton marine coal terminal in the Russian Far East.
- Russia / Dispute / Debt recovery
Successfully challenging a debtor’s (defendant’s) transaction that sought to asset strip real property worth over US$2 million. The debtor is a famous Russian interior designer who tried to avoid debt repayment to our client. The case is notable for being a quite rare example of challenging a debtor’s transaction in Russia without initiating a bankruptcy procedure.
- Private equity / digital economy
Advising iTech Capital, a private equity and venture capital firm focused on the digital economy on a transaction in relation to its flagship iTech Fund I involving a sale by several limited partners of their interests in the fund to a new limited partner.
Banking and finance
- Advising a borrower on an ISDA Swap Master Agreement based financing secured by GDRs admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange.
- Advising a lender on the extension of a term loan facility secured by mortgage of real estate and respective due diligence of real estate assets.
- Representing a party providing finance to a Russian manufacturing group in the preparation of transaction documents, equity financing, share transfer and security documents under English and Cypriot law (with the involvement of a Cypriot counsel).
Corporate and M&A / Cross-border / Energy and infrastructure
- Representing LUKOIL in an M&A transaction involving its retail fuel division, including providing escrow services in addition to the legal advice.
- Advising a Russian investor in structuring and documenting an equity and debt investment into a Vietnamese company.
- Advising two different clients on a consortium formation and tender in connection with the construction and operation of a pipeline in South Asia; and on the tender process for an upstream production license in Africa.
- Representing a financial investor in a Colorado-based joint operating arrangement for the exploration of gas deposits in Eastern United States.